Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 March 2010

Writing in the 'cloud'

This week I explored using Office 2.0 online productivity applications to create documents which can be viewed and edited by others. I created my Google Doc without too many problems (I picked a quotation from a book I had been reading by Borges), experimented with formatting and shared it with my colleague Judy who had also sent me hers.
The ThinkFree element was a little more tricky due to the Java software it needed to run....though the features were much more advanced and it more closely resembled a word document so was easier to navigate around!

I think this kind of document sharing is great for collaborative research projects or policy documents which need to be approved (and potentially edited) by a team of people. Our lovely boss Jane sent us a Google Doc just this week (excellent timing!) with a draft rota on for Saturday shifts in the library. I would be a little wary of putting anything too confidential on one of these docs though for sure....

All in all, I enjoyed experimenting in the 'cloud' :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought it only appropriate to use Google Docs for the rota, considering this week's Things :)

    ReplyDelete