Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 March 2010

The Book of Face and other ways to 'network'...

This week I have been exploring the ways in which Facebook can be used to connect with users/can be used in academic contexts. I am a Facebook-aholic so this week's task was a lot more familiar than some...The good old-fashioned 'group' affiliation on FB has given way to the might of the 'Fan' status. By pledging allegiance to, for example, the VHL or the RAI (; ) by becoming a Fan, the icon will appear not merely as a text link (as was the case with the groups), but as a shining beacon of your preferred study spot on your Info page so all your chums can see where you hang out. I remember first becoming aware of the VHL a while back through a friend's 'Fan' status, on which he commented that our library was 'a gem for Finalists, quiet, light and with the friendliest staff''! Not only that, but with the new 'Like' button one can draw attention to status updates from the Rothermere on its latest seminars and lectures, or from the VHL on its latest acquisitions/demonstrations of resources thereby encouraging friends and colleagues to visit the RAI and VHL pages and become a Fan. I think that the infiltration of the academic into the previously 'personal' sphere of FB can be very fruitful, as long as D.Phil. students and 'real' lecturers alike are vigilant about befriending their students.

LinkedIn was, however, brand new to me, and seems to focus much more clearly on professional networks and connections. I signed up as a University of Oxford employee and set about finding my 'connections'. I joined a group for University of Oxford alumni, but after creating my profile, didn't have much time left to find fellow Oxford librarians, will try and do this next time around.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, what a lovely comment from your friend! I'm going to save that one :)

    ReplyDelete